Saturday, March 20, 2010

Reflecting on the Saturday 'Long Take' Shoot

I had an enjoyable day, my favourite part was probably walking through the trees for the little red riding hood shoot haha, but I guess that’s not the point of today’s blog.
Since I’ve worked with a Bolex before and developed many times, I didn’t get to be that interactive which I guess was a bit of a shame for me, but we all need to get a turn, so that’s cool. =)
I sometimes felt a bit outside of my group, when I did speak up about ideas I didn’t really get listened to I sometimes feel. But maybe that’s just me not explaining myself properly. Also I think it could be because the boys have a kind of different state of mind to me I guess, which is fine. They just like to get things done, and don’t I guess worry so much about the meaning/purpose to the story or the imagery, representations we could think more about working with. But I don’t think that is a bad thing necessarily just because it’s different to the way I would normally go about things. For example, today’s idea I felt was great, it was sweet and simple, funny, and had a nice unexpected ending. One suggestion I made that I kind of would have liked to include, just because I find studying human behaviour interesting: was to start with a shot of fidgeting feet, and then move up to the hands. I just think it’s interesting, how people keep their minds active, and themselves busy, when bored or in awkward situations etc. And then to move up and back to reveal the bus stop sign, and then move back more to allow the ‘man bus’ ha-ha to come in. I also thought that could have given us more variety of camera work. But, that would have meant Josh wouldn’t have been in frame to include the comedic trip, which was a great touch.
I love the Bolex, I love the look of old film, (I really wanna get myself one of those little cameras we also got to play with, just quietly hahaha), and I love the concept of doing entire works in one long take. It’s a challenge and it feels really honest to me. That might not make sense and probably sounds stupid ha-ha. I just mean that, if I see a short done in all one take, I know it’s honest, that is it hasn’t been cut up and manipulated. I particularly find this technique best effective in documentary or any non-fiction type film for this reason, just personally anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment