Monday, March 1, 2010

2nd response Scratch Film Junkies

I definitely had an entirely new experience watching another Scratch Film Junkies work for a second time. First of all I felt although that there were still a variety of techniques I couldn’t for the life of me put my finger on what they were with complete confidence. But there were definitely material elements of the film I could now relate too, or better presumed. For example, use of magazine transfer in the beginning, arrow animation, pattern prints, paints/oils (though seemed a thicker but still glassy looking – looked possibly acrylic but I wouldn’t have thought so from remembering way back to 1st or 2nd class when Andre said careful not to use too thicker substances so that it doesn’t get caught up with the sprocket holes]).

So I suppose on a level as simple as being able to relate to techniques made my experience more enjoyable. As my previous blogs dictate my opinions are forever developing (for film and life ha-ha). This shift in opinion also greatly changed my experience. I mentioned scratch Film Junkies in a couple of blogs but I’m glad we have had the chance to speak specifically now on our new opinions, as I felt it is a subject I wanted to retouch on. – Our studies on synesthesia, our practises in making our own experimental and our study of experimental artists have all started me thinking.
I have regained appreciation for the story telling behind abstract, and the importance in the knowledge that it is up to each individual to gather their own interpretation – and that that is the beauty of it.
I definitely feel for example our 1st experimental had a story, and I’m sure if I asked someone to try and guess it, its possible they may, but I would also love to hear what they can see in it. Whether it were the colours, or the material representations, and whether or not they had a whole new meaning when projected I saw definitely saw our story come to life, and I loved it. As an example I used newspaper in one small part, to represent people today, I splashed a little red because I do think newspapers and their reflection of reality can be a little chaotic, but it was only a flash of a moment in the story amongst the sunsets and growth of life we considered to be important to this world as we currently know it. I wander now what the scratch film junkies use of magazine print meant to represent, possibly the something similar, probably something entirely different. Either way my second experience has definitely been altered, and I believe for the better.
I appreciate life so I’m glad I have come to re-find this appreciation for experimental. Not to say I have become totally taken, my style and thoughts from before are still around. However, experimental techniques are broadening my horizons for visual effect, and though I believe in everything I make having a clear message for the viewer, who’s not to say I can’t spread a strong message through experimental anyway.

Before I go here’s a quick list of the “I loved”...
- The underneath film of the man speaking inside the paint and scratch
- The green cellular looking figures
- The star and dot patterns and arrow animation & magazine print
-The thicker paints effect- could even have been nail polish like I noticed one of the girls in class used or inks mixed into oils maybe
- The 2 film inserts (plane on runway underneath & the man who looked drawn in, in some ace card looking world
- Some sort of technique that gave a stain glass looking effect
- & definitely Loved the dancing fox stuck in sand at fin

Speaking of which thats fin for me too haha good night

No comments:

Post a Comment