Thursday, February 25, 2010

In addition to Sound: Natural Born Killers

Just thought I'd add that I was watching Natural Born Killers the other night. And I thought the part only about 1/2 hours in, where they do a take-off on those classic American sitcom TV shows like Leave it to Beaver and Father knows best. The reason I mention this is because in the film the 'sitcom technique' is used as a point of contradicting the whole idea, by reflecting the reality of her screwed up family life in the TV take-off.
So in relation to sound I just felt it was relevant because as I was watching it it got me thinking. As a technique of sitcoms is to use the sound of audiences laughing to provoke the audience behind the screen to laugh. I found the effect of the audience laughing over the screwed up issues the girl is subjected to in the reality of her family life, to be very effective. For e.g. her father is abusive and as he touches her inappropriately the technique of the audience laughing makes the viewers behind the screen think then about the hardships of reality. And I suppose also about how greatly unrealistically family life was reflected by those sorts of shows in the past. Which probably to some degree created pressure on society to feel a need to live up to those morals of perfection. As audiences were less aware of the deception nature the media can have, in comparison to today.
Anyway I'm going off topic ha-ha, I just thought this was a little idea I should share.

No comments:

Post a Comment